Tuesday, December 06, 2005

SULPHUR SIMON met a

SULPHUR SIMON met a ....


You all know how it is.  “Funny how much wax builds up in this dog’s ears.”; “Funny how Simon never finishes his meal all at once.  He just takes a few mouthfuls and then lies down.  Funny dog”

These innocuous remarks never really led anywhere.  They were just observations on my peculiar behaviour.  Until, that is, the internet came on the scene.   One wet Sunday afternoon, while surfing the web, my Mum came across a site which proved a revelation.

“ Souli (short for Suleiman, if you please!!) shows no interest in food … but mention going for a walk, and Souli is right there … first one up in the morning, like clockwork … gait is swift if not pulling …When we come home, ….the boy, the athlete and the skinny one always runs to us with one of his stuffed animals, with great anticipation and a hearty welcome …. Souli is a Liver or Wood type (Sulphur constitution).

This information seemed to open some kind of magic box for my Mum (I do all those things too, you see). She immediately set about doing what she does best - garnering information.  The author of the web page on “Homoeopathy for Man’s best friend”, Luc De Schepper was tracked down and she devoured everything she could find about Sulphur.   Next thing I knew I was getting tiny granules with Sulphur remedy.  A couple of days after taking the first one, the smell from my ears disappeared and so did the wax which usually built up. Other bodily odours also diminished dramatically. This was a breakthrough.  She was over the moon at this success.  After about 10 days the smell began to return to the ears so I was given another dose.  Then, as she read that, according to good homoeopathic prescribing practice, it was not advisable to keep repeating the same dose, what did she do next? Enrol to take a Homoeopathic First Aid course.

That really did it.  Now we are all suitably analysed.  Me Sulphur.  Lupa the cat Lycopodium.  

So, what does being a Sulphur dog involve?  The first thing is that Sulphur is one of the main Psoric remedies which means that Sulphur people are prone to itches.  And, oh boy, is that true!  Suddenly, for no reason that I can think of, I just itch. Well, the itching has almost gone with my remedies.  In a way it is a pity no longer to have what is categorised in the Homoeopathic Repertory as ·”voluptuous itching”.  Not that the itching is such fun but the description is certainly exotic.

Some of the general characteristics of the Sulphur child might apply to me:

  • Intense curiosity – always exploring everywhere

  • Play with 2 toys at the same time

  • Good communicators

  • Always messy and muddy (On that score we have just been given a poster which says “Watch Out Bearded Collie About and carries a picture of a gung-ho beardie brandishing a large jar of mud!)
I also display some characteristics of Type 1 Sulphur Child like:

  • Happy-go-lucky

  • Exuberant

  • Love to be centre of attention (Love getting my photo taken!)

  • Great energy

If there is one great defining characteristic of Sulphur people, that is LAZINESS.  And, I have to admit, lounging around under the palm tree is my favourite occupation, until, of course, there is any mention of going for a walk, and then I am queuing at the gate.  In fact, they don’t even have to mention the word, I know when they are getting the lead and putting on their shoes , so I just sit looking alert at the door.  We are just like the volcanoes: lying dormant most of the time and then lunging into action.

The other great defining characteristic which I display in abundance is HEAT.  Sulphur types are hot. Not surprising when you think about it, since sulphur comes from  volcanic eruptions. They have to stick their feet out from under the bed clothes.  That’s me.  I only lie on a rug when it gets really cold. Most of the time I prefer to lie on the cool tiles.

Feet are a sore point with Sulphurs.  I must admit I don’t like having my paws combed very much, but I do put up with it all the same.  Also, before I started taking my remedy. I had – dare I say it – smelly feet. No longer!  On the whole we Sulphurs are happier not being touched too much, except, of course, when we are having our ears massaged and such like.

In the food preferences category, I definitely fit in where it says preference for sweets and chocolate, especially chocolate.  Then I slake my thirst with vast quantities of cold water.  That’s another characteristic feature.

When we get to the more delicate matters of personal toilette, the book says “regular bowel movements (perhaps 3 or 4 times per day)”.  Yep.  True.

So you see, it pays to know what you are.  Now that we are into this homoeopathy business, I would say that the major inconveniences of my life have more or less disappeared.  No more itches, no more wax, no more smelly feet or ears.  Pretty good really.  And all it took was some sleuthing on my Mum’s part to work out what I was.  

If  there should be any dramatic changes, I’ll keep you all posted.

Simon

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home